We all have big dreams, goals and bucket list items that we are striving to accomplish in life.
But, have you ever felt like you just weren’t moving forward in the direction you strived for? Does it feel like your ambition and your goals are so different than those of the people around you. Do your friends and co-workers share your enthusiasm, your passion or your vision for your future.
I have to share this realization with you because, to be honest, I didn’t know just how powerful and important your inner circle was when it came to believing in yourself and believing in your dreams.
I’m not that close with my family and I’ve received zero inspirational, motivational advice or any guidance at all for the past 30 years. I have a few close and dear childhood friends but they are scattered around the planet and unfortunately I spend very little time with them. I work in an industry that is based on extremely superficial relationships where everyone is trying to impress everyone else and willing to compromise themselves in the process. I never did. I never tried to be someone I wasn’t and kissing ass was my least accomplished skill. Although I still strive to succeed in my career, I have never felt any support from my co-workers for trying to be different, authentic, myself. That’s just not the nature of the business.
It wasn’t until recently when, after asking the universe for a little help, advice and guidance, someone came into my life and made me realize exactly what had been missing for almost 30 years. This person quickly became a part of my inner circle and a daily contact and influence. All of the sudden, I had someone that I respected, admired and trusted that also respected, admired and trusted me as well. What’s more is that this person supported my ideas, encouraged my dreams, believed in my inner strength and saw a greatness in me that I had all but forgotten.
Having someone in your life that believes in you more than you believe in yourself can be all it takes to help you start realizing your own self worth and catapult you in the direction of your dreams.
This is powerful stuff! It is important for you all to know and believe that we are greatly influenced by the people around us. In order to accomplish anything in life you must believe that you can do it. In order to believe in yourself you must realize your own inner strength and worth.
Having at least one person in your life that believes in your inner strength and beauty is a powerful amplifier and very important. Now imagine if the TOP FIVE people you spend most of your time with, all felt the same. You would be empowered and unstoppable!
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Jim Rohn
When trying to accomplish a goal, strive towards your dreams and make big changes in your life, never under estimate the power of the people around you. Strive to surround yourself with role models, mentors, coaches and friends and loved ones that exemplify qualities and attributes that you want to bring out in yourself.
Who are the five people you talk to the most and spend most of your time with everyday? Try this exercise:
- Make a list of your co-workers, your spouse, closest friends and family that have the greatest influence on who you are.
- Now, for each person on your list, write down who they are, what they do, your favourite personality traits and how successful, happy, optimistic, enthusiastic and ambitious they are.
- What do you love, respect or admire about them?
- Now write down how inspiring, motivating, supportive, encouraging they are towards you. Do they believe in you?
- Then look at your list and evaluate and decide for yourself. Are these the people you want in the car with you on your journey toward success. Or, are some of them just along for the ride and not pitching in any gas money? Think of these people as your team members in the game of life.
As part of Team Bucket List Life and an Ambassador for The Bucket List Life, I am surrounded by some of the most amazing, inspiring and encouraging people from around the planet and we all have the same goal to inspire others to go after their dreams and help them accomplish their goals.
If you truly want to fly in life, surround yourself with eagles, stop hanging around turkeys. – Fenix Fallgirl
Latest posts by Lani Gelera (see all)
- Whoever Said, “Money Can’t Buy Happiness”, Just Wasn’t Spending It Right! - April 3, 2015
- The Bucket List Life Is All About Sharing Lifes Stories - March 30, 2015
- How Will You Know That He Really Loves You? 10 Ways To Tell. - March 29, 2015